At MyGolfSpy when we test a golf club we care about 1 thing and 1 thing only; PERFORMANCE. Because we refuse to accept advertising dollars from the companies whose clubs we test, we don't have to worry about the names on the bottom of the club. Numbers, not logos determine our scores, and our winners.
We call that DATACRATIC.
- The chart below contains two separate tabs. In addition to showing the overall score, the Scoring Tab shows individual category scores for Distance, Accuracy, and Consistency for all clubs tested. The Launch Monitor Data tab shows the combined average of our testers for key data points.
- There are several ways you can sort and filter the data. The filters above the data (Manufacturer, Club, and Adjustability) allow you to show only those clubs that meet the criteria you specify.
- To sort by an individual column, hover over the column name until appears. Click on the icon to sort.
- Hovering over individual data points will display a pop up that shows the individual data point as well as a link to the original review, and a Buy Now button.
- For those interested, click here to compare Pre-2013 Drivers.
Interpreting the Data
The Scoring Tab contains individual category scores for Distance, Accuracy, Consistency, as well as the Overall Performance Score for each club.
- Distance Score is based on the Total Average Distance (Carry plus Roll) achieved by our testers. The individual scores which make up the overall category score is relative to each tester's individual ability.
- Accuracy Score is a combined total derived from the average number of yards offline and the average percentage of fairways hit by our testers.
- Consistency Score is derived from a number of performance factors we use to determine how consistently the driver performs from one swing to the next. At this time consistency is not factored into the overall score.
- Overall Score is derived from the average Total Driving Scores (total distance minus yards offline) for our testers.
Launch Monitor Data Tab
The Launch Monitor Data tab contains the raw averages for several key data points related to golf club performance.
- Carry Yards - The average number of yards produced by the driver. This value does not include roll.
- Total Yards - The average number of carry yards plus rollout. This number is used as the basis for our distance score.
- Yards Offline - The average number of yards offline (relative to the center line) the ball finished.
- Fairway % - The average number of fairways our testers hit with the specified club. A combination of Fairway % and yards offline is used to determine our accuracy score.
- Total Driving - Numerical value created when Yards Offline is subtracted from Total Yards. Effectively this is the average value for Total Distance minus Yards Offline
- Ball Speed - The average ball speed created by each driver.
- Launch Angle - The average vertical launch angle produced by each driver.
- Spin - The average amount of backspin generated by each driver
A note about our data: The raw averages include data from all golfers who participate in our driver test. However, when we factor individual category scores, the lowest performing tester is removed from the calculations. This, coupled with the methods we use to determine individual scores (individual scores are relative to each individual's ability), will sometimes result in clubs with higher total driving averages producing lower overall scores.